Wednesday, March 09, 2011

3 Rings Comic (WHY)



WHY?

Have you ever wondered if you had it in you to ...

For me it was I wonder if I can make a comic.
This all started by getting into the Long Beach Comic Con 2009, and sitting there with relatively little. Frankly I was a little embarrassed, sitting at a comic convention without a comic. So me and my con table mate Robert, thought what if we made a comic.

That started a more than a year long journey. Yep, starting in January 2010 we had a meeting with the guys to go over story ideas, and today I got my part of the a group comic to the printer. Now I feel a mix of elation and extreme tiredness.

But again why. I am a big fan of comic books. I started reading comics in the late 80s, and early 90s. Which was an interesting time to be reading. I remember the Image guys coming up, but my favorite comic was the Uncanny X-Men. I came in at the end of Marc Silvestri run and the Jim Lee start on the book, and I was astonished. The characters, the artist, the stories. I had a great time.

But then I got older, and I guess I out grew comics. My greatest reason was it seemed the stories started to repeat, and I could only take so much of a characters death, and then return. It was about that time I found manga. I think I was drawn to manga because the stories are have greater variety of genre, and the characters actually age. Manga started my learning Japanese,and even my doing a study abroad in Japan. I still read some of the series that I read when I was there. So now with my comic eyes were open I began looking at everything.

Then walking through San Diego Comic Con, I started to notice some of the European comics, and my mind was blown again. It was the european comic that made me stop and think of all the similarities and differences of approach to comic. The American love of superheroes, the Japanese use of the long narrative, and the European incredible artistry in style and genre. It is all beautiful.

All of these experiences made me think; I wonder if I have it in me to make a comic.

No comments: