Monday, October 09, 2006

Odin

My plan is to update the blog weekly, but you know how it is when you make plans. Well for this week, I return to my youth. This illustration is of Odin, Lord of the Norse Gods. Odin is shown here with his animal friends; the two ravens Huginn and Muninn, two wolves Geri and Freki are messengers and information bringers. I didn't add his eight legged horse Sleipnir who I did sketch but seemed to disrupt the composition.
I think I like Odin the most of all the gods I read about, because he was kind of a nut, and went to great lengths to obtain knowledge. He gave up an eye to sip knowledge from Mimir's well, and then he hanged himself from the Yggdrasil (cosmic tree) to gain even more wisdom. Yeah, the stories are strange, but are awsome reads. I think the reason I love reading mythical stories is because they boil down what it is to be human, plus they usually very strange, interesting and unique stories. Truly timeless reading. Well I think I geeked myself enough for tonight. Enjoy.
Later.


No comments: