Saturday, September 30, 2006

Monster Month

Hello again, here are some designs and textures I did for Special Studies Animation at Cal State Fullerton. The project was that a group of us would make a game commercial that involves a cave and a scary monster that is part man, part scorpion, and part poodle. The project was interesting in many ways. Including that we had to work together, and play to our strengths, all in a way that is more true to how real world works. Cooperation was hard for some, but meeting tight deadlines even harder as we had only a month to try to get this done.
My designs for the monster, on the bottom are the early rounds, while the top the more final version. For coloring the character, the top three on the left were done in watercolor on plain copy paper. Then I scaned them in and with multiplying layers, I created the other color versions. On the textures I gathered reference to get an idea of what I wanted, then again painted the textures in watercolor on watercolor paper because the paper has a texture. Then scan them in and use multiply and some photo compositing to make some of the textures read. So this has been an interesting month. Boy am I tired, but very pleased with the results, and I didn't even know I could do textures. Wow, a new trick!




No comments: